Thursday, December 8, 2011

Beef Bourguignon

   I know I just posted yesterday about red meat, but the filets from the night before came in a pack of four in my freezer so I had to hurry up and use them. This recipe is SO good! When I first got married this was my go-to "special" dinner I made for my husband. I still love it as much now as I did back then. In the past, I have also made this recipe with whole filets of beef. Last night, I cut them into pieces to speed up the cooking process. I know beef tenderloin filets can be expensive, so I think you could easily substitute another cut of meat if you want.

Ingredients:
1- 1/2 pounds of sliced beef tenderloin (about 1/2 inch thick)
1 yellow onion
4 carrots
about 8-10 mushrooms sliced
2 cloves of garlics
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme chopped
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1 1/2 cup of red wine
2 cups of beef stock
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
1 tablespoon of flour
2 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil

Directions:
  Season pieces of meat with half a teaspoon of salt and pepper. Heat a large pan with the tablespoon of olive oil. Brown meat on both sides for about 2 minutes per side. Set meat aside. Add garlic and onions to the same pan, and cook for 30 seconds. De glaze the pan with the wine. Scrape the bits of the bottom of the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes. Then, add the tomato paste, thyme, beef stock 1 teaspoon of salt, and one teaspoon of pepper. Let this cook for about five minutes. Then, add the carrots. Let this cook for about 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile in a separate pan, brown the mushrooms for about 10 minutes in a tablespoon of butter. Add the mushroom to the sauce. Mix the remaining tablespoon of flour and butter together in a bowl, and then add it to the sauce to thicken. Put the meat back into the pan, and let it all cook together for about 3-5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment