Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Healthy Quiche Lorraine

   My house smells so good right now! I just took this out of the oven! Dinner is gonna be good:)


   I love quiche, and I came across a Quiche Lorraine recipe I liked a few years ago. I altered it in a few ways to make it healthier. I think it is delicious! It makes a great dinner with a salad and sauteed mushrooms, or perhaps with some roasted asparagus. Then, you can heat some up for breakfast or lunch the next day. Give it a try, and I am sure you won't miss the unhealthier version a bit.

Ingredients:
1 store bought pie crust
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups of milk ( I used 2%. Don't use skim or the quiche won't thicken properly.)
1 teaspoon on salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1 1/2 cups of spinach (uncooked)
6 pieces turkey bacon
1 red or yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
1 tablespoon of flour

Directions:
  Bake pie crust for 12 minutes at 450 degrees. Cover with foil if it gets too dark. Turn oven down to 325. In a medium pan, brown the bacon. Take out and put aside. Add onion to the pan with half a teaspoon of salt and a little pepper. Cook until translucent. Then, add garlic and spinach. Cook just until the spinach wilts. Turn off the heat, and crumble the bacon into the mix.

  In a bowl, mix the milk, eggs, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Beat with a whisk. Add bacon, onion, and spinach mixture. In a separate bowl, mix the grated cheese and flour together. Add to the egg bowl. Give it a stir, and pour it into the pie crust. Bake at 325 for about 40 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment