Monday, November 7, 2011

My Mom's Chicken

This chicken is just so delicious. I got the recipe from my mom, and I know she just made it up one night, like she does so often:)She is such a good cook, and her food is just so comforting and reminds me so much of my childhood. This is really good and hearty. Perfect for a winter night with a glass of red wine. Yum! It is pretty healthy and is ready on the table in 30 minutes. I like to serve it over brown rice. You  could do any kind of rice, or you could try egg noddles or quinoa. Let me know what you think.

Ingredients:
1 chicken breast per person. Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow onion (you could use white or red too)
2 cloves of garlic chopped
handful of mushroom sliced
tomato paste
red wine (any kind you have around the house that would actually like to drink)
teryaki sauce
pepper
all purpose flour

Directions:
   Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. You won't need much salt at all because of the teryaki sauce. I dust each chicken piece in the flour and shake all the excess off. I flour the chicken because I find that it makes the chicken stay really moist instead of drying it out which is so easy to let happen. You only need about a tablespoon of flour. Meanwhile, heat a pan with extra virgin olive oil. You want it to be medium-high, hot enough to hear a sizzle when you put it in the pan. Brown the chicken on both sides. Remove the chicken when it is about 2/3 of the way cooked. Set it aside. Add about a tablespoon of fresh olive oil.Then, add onion slices to the oil. Cook the onions for about five minutes. Then, add garlic and peppers. Add some fresh pepper and stir. After about three minutes, add the mushrooms. Cook for about 1 or 2 minutes. Then, add about half a cup of red wine to the pan. Scrape brown bits off the bottom of the pan. (This is where the flavor is!) Then add about a cup of teryaki sauce and 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Turn heat down to a simmer. Reduce sauce for about 5 minutes. The, put the chicken back in, and cook all together for about 5-7 minutes. Sauce will thicken as sits, so wait a couple minutes before serving.

    I never measure exactly when I cook so the wine, teryaki, and tomato paste measurements are estimations. Feel free to add more or less of one if you think it needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment