Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tasty Chili


 It finally has gotten chilly outside and I love it! What better food to cook when it is cold than chili? So, that is what we did this weekend. My "we" is my husband and me:) He loves to cook just as much as I do! Our chili turned out delicious, and I really think the key to good chili is cooking it for a very long time. I think we cooked ours for about four hours. We had to stir it every five minutes or so, and add more liquid as it reduced. Trust me, it is totally worth the effort!

Ingredients:
1 pound of 95% lean ground beef
1 pound of 90% lean ground pork
1 yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
1 green bell pepper
1 jalapeno pepper (I took out the seeds.)
1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
1 15 oz. can of water
1 1/2 beers of your choice
any brand chili seasoning packet (The one I used had a lot of cayenne pepper and chili powder)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  Brown both meats in about one tablespoon of olive oil with salt and pepper. Drain fat. In the same pot, saute onions, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic with about a teaspoon of salt and pepper. Add the meat back in, and add the tomato sauce, water, and beer. Then, add the seasonings. Simmer, stirring every few minutes and scraping the bottom of the pan. After about and hour, or an hour and a half when the chili has gotten too thick, add one more can of water and half of a beer. Continue to cook on low for about another hour or hour and a half. Taste to make sure it is seasoned properly, and enjoy it with some melted cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment