Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sauteed Hericot Verts

   I think these haricots are my favorite vegetable I make. A haricot is just the French name for a string bean. I like these better than regular green beans because I think they have a better flavor, are skinnier, and they stay crunchier. So, to make these delicious bad boys here is what you need:

1 package of haricot verts
1 yellow onion (if I am just cooking for two, I use half a package of the green beans and half an onion.)
1 garlic clove minced (chopped finely)
black pepper
chicken bouillon granules or powder
white wine vinegar
1/2 lemon

   So, first thing I do is blanch the beans. This means that you cook them shortly in boiling water. So, I boil the water and add the green beans. Cook them for about three minutes. Then, drain them. Next, I let them hang out in ice water so they don't get overcooked. The reason for boiling them first is it locks in that really pretty bright green color.

After the blanching, I take the chopped onion and cooking over medium heat in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. I cook the onions until they are translucent, about eight minutes. Then, I add the garlic and green beans. Cook for about 30 seconds while adding pepper. Then, I add about five or six dashes of white wine vinegar and a few shakes of the chicken bouillon. (I like salt, so I probably add more. You can do less if you aren't really a salty person.) I use bouillon instead of plain kosher salt because the flavor is really good. I stir this and then add the juice of about 1/2 a lemon. Continue cooking for about three minutes and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment