Monday, November 14, 2011

Marinated Flank Steak with Wild Rice Salad

  We had this last night and I love it! We love red meat over at our house, and this particular cut of meat isn't expensive so that is pretty nice. The marinade is really easy to make, and I usually like to let it marinade over night if I can. If not, I let it marinade for atleast four hours. We like to grill it, but if you don't have a grill you could use a grill pan or an iron skillet. The flavors are really good together!

  Now, we also had my new favorite side dish last night.  I am not typically a wild rice person, but recently I have discovered this salad, and I am now crazy for it! The ingredients I put in can be substituted with whatever you have around the house. This side dish is great because it can be served hot, at room tempertature, or cold. It also stays for about three or four days. I will be having some leftovers for lunch today:)

Flank Steak:
1- 1 1/2 lbs. of flank steak
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup teryaki sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon pepper
1 bunch chopped green onion

  Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Pour over meat, and let it marinade over night. When you grill it, the cook time depends on the thickness, but usually it takes around 15-20 minutes. I rotate it every 4 minutes or so to get the grill marks. I rotate it from 10:00 position to 2:00 position, then I flip it and do the same thing on the other side. Let the meat rest about 8-10 minutes before you cut it. Make sure you cut it against the grains (the lines you can see.)


Wild Rice Salad:
1 Cup (uncooked rice) Follow cooking directions on the package.
1/4 cup slice almonds
1/4 cup cranberries
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 package of mushrooms sliced
about 6 pieces of asparagus chopped into fourths
1/4 cup pistachios ( I used them last time, but didn't have anythis time)
1 sprig fresh thyme chopped
2 garlic cloves

Dressing:
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
5 splashes red wine vinegar
5 splashes Balsamic vingear
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Whisk all ingredients together.

   Saute the onion in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. After about 5 minutes, add the mushrooms, asparagus, garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add the cranberries and almonds. Turn off the heart after about 2 minutes. Pour mixture over the cooked rice. Add the dressing a little bit at a time so you can decide how much you want. Enjoy it! You could also try adding carrots, celery, green onion, or walnuts. This one is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment